REGATRACE aims to create an efficient trade system based on the issuing and trading of Guarantees of Origin (GoO) for biomethane/renewable gases. This will strongly contribute to the uptake of the European common biomethane market.
This objective will be achieved through a number of founding pillars:
- European biomethane/renewable gases GoO system;
- Set-up of national GoO issuing bodies;
- Integration of GoO from different renewable gas technologies with electric and hydrogen GoO systems;
- Integrated assessment and sustainable feedstock mobilisation strategies and technology synergies;
- Support for biomethane market uptake;
- Transferability of results beyond the project’s countries.
*This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement number 857796.
REGATRACE will work towards the development of cost-effective logistics, feedstock mobilisation strategies and trade centres for intermediate bioenergy carriers. The intermediate bioenergy carrier is biomethane. A Europe-wide trade centre for biomethane and other renewable gases is necessary to enable investments to supply the whole European market and for promoting cross-border biomethane trade.
REGATRACE supports the mobilisation of biogas feedstocks that otherwise would not be utilised. Efficient bioenergy logistics refer to biomass conversion and use of the gas grid as the logistical tool.
A stable, reliable and common market for biomethane and other renewable gases in Europe plays an important role in achieving EU political targets and in decoupling energy systems from fossil fuels: biomethane/renewable gases can be produced from waste or residual streams of organic material and they can be transmitted and stored in existing infrastructures, which will allow the European natural gas and electricity grids to be combined.
- Project Coordination & Management;
- Process, policy and Impact Evaluation;
- Support to Market uptake;
- Dissemination, communication and transferability.
ISINNOVA, EBA, AGCS, CIB, DENA, ARBIO, RGFI, Fluxys, DBFZ, AIB, AMBER, NEDGIA, ERGaR, ELERING, UPEBI.