FLAGSHIP, short for Forward Looking Analysis of Grand Societal Challenges and Innovative Policies, is a EU FP7 collaborative project coordinated by ISINNOVA that helps to anticipate major challenges that Europe will have to face in the next 20-30 years in the context of the Innovation Union, assessing the impacts of medium to long-term demographic, economic, political and technological trends in Europe in a world context. The global challenges on focus include:
- An environmental challenge: The need to change the current ways in which essential natural resources are used – due to the non-sustainable human over-exploitation.
- A societal and economic challenge: The need to anticipate and adapt to societal changes – including political, cultural, demographic and economic transformations in order for the EU to develop into a truly competitive and inclusive knowledge society in the world context.
- A governance challenge: The need for more effective and transparent governance for the EU and the world – with the creation of more transparent and accountable forms of governance able to anticipate and adapt to the future, but also to spread democracy and transparency on the global level.
- Understand and assess the state-of-the-art of forward looking methodologies
- Apply an enhanced set of forward looking methods and tools to support EU policies
- Drive change by producing EU-relevant policy recommendations on the potential for transition and change as a result of the forward looking exercise.
- Research and administrative management
- Integrate the different perspectives underpinning the project by developing the FLAGSHIP framework scenario